Saturday, June 18, 2011

Just for Dad

Yesterday on Twitter #ilovemydadeventhough was a trending topic. This is absurd. I mean I know Father's Day is coming up, but shouldn't the trending topic be #ilovemydad? What's with this "even though"? I mean, love for your dad should be completely unconditional. What do I know though? Well...my dad is awesome. He knows how to embarrass me beyond belief, we are nothing alike, he knows how to get under my skin, we have argued, and yet I always have loved him. No "even though."

My dad is silly and crazy, and when he wears shorts the sun has to use the clouds to hide the glare, but he is also dependable and supporting, and whenever anyone ever needs help, he is always there. He has always been there, and as long as he is able, he always will be. Father's Day is tomorrow. This is not my first Father's Day away from home, but it is the first one that has been preceded by a year of me being away. Throughout this last year I have had to fix things by myself. I have had to be innovative. I have had to challenge myself. I have had to suck it up and just do things that I have not wanted to do. If it weren't for my dad, I would not have known what to do. I called him about tires and oil for my car. When my brakes needed to be replaced, he dropped everything and fixed them over a weekend. He is always there for me, and he always has been.

Some things will never change. My dad is always going to try to be embarrassing, and he will usually be successful. He will always be the goofball at any event. He will never wear a tie and he will always have freakishly white legs. He will always be there for me and I will always love him. No "if's" or "and's" or "even though's". So in honor of Dad's Day, here is my dad, being his silly and obnoxious self.


Don't forget to wish your dad or closest person to a father-figure in your life a Happy Father's Day. They might be the craziest person you know, but love them no matter what...no "even though's". And, more than ever, remember, it's the random reasons...

No comments: