Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Forbidden, but Found


"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
While the secret sits in the middle and knows."
 -Robert Frost



Secrets. What is the point in them? The only kind of secret that is a good secret is the secret kept for a surprise. That is all. But, why do people keep, or try to keep other secrets? Charles Sanford put it nicely: 
"Secrets are made to be found out in time."

Today's post comes from an area of my life that has been a big secret. However, as I learn more about this secret which has recently surfaced, I realize that there were a lot of people keeping this secret. I am from a small town....so it was probably known by a lot of people. Why didn't anyone ever say anything? Why did I have to find out by myself? Why in the world was it such a big mystery that no one wanted me to solve? I may never know the answers to these questions, and I suppose I am coming to grips with that. Secrets are meant to be kept, but they rarely are. It is shocking that this particular secret was kept for as long as it was. And even now that I have discovered the truth, investigated, and took things into my own hands and let them out into the open light, it is still a forbidden topic. It's just a tad bit puzzling. But, I suppose,like most mysterious things it will always hold a bit of secrecy.

The art for today is something I created in high school. It is pencil and charcoal and was an assignment. At the time this piece had nothing to do with secrets, but when I look at it now it reminds me to live like an open box. Be true to yourself and honest with those around you, and everything will be, for the most part, wonderful.



 A long time ago I decided to try my hardest to never keep secrets that are not in the nature of a joyful surprise. Things like surprise parties, gifts, and genders of babies are perfectly ok to be a surprise. It is the things that people keep hidden for negative reasons that are terrible secrets. So I encourage each of you today to be honest, don't keep things a secret from the people who need to know the truth...and as always...it's the random reasons.



No comments: