Thursday, July 7, 2011

Staple. Stitch. Glue.

Hello Lovelies! So as promised, a day late, a post about something I have created. Finally, I know.

Staple. Stitch. Glue....stay tuned to find out which two get the boot!

This creation is less fine art and more practical art for the apartment. I love pillows. That is not just a random me-fact, but is, in fact, a crucial point to this post. I have always loved having a ton of throw pillows on my bed--I have even received them as Christmas gifts in the past. I don't know specifically what it is about them that brings a smile to my face, but it might be the fact that they come in so many pretty designs....or maybe it is because they are like accessories to a room...I'm not sure. Well, anyhoo, I had all these pillows and then when I moved to the apartment, I didn't want them on my bed...I wanted them to go on the couch. So, being me I could not just put bed throw pillows on a couch in my new apartment. Why? 3 reasons.

1. They are BED pillows.
2. They don't match.
3. I just needed something new. :)

So...today I am going to walk you through the process of recreating my pillows...1 step at a time. First, I went to Walmart and bought some really cute fabric squares that they sell for about $1.50 a piece. Not a bad deal, and they had a large selection of cute patterns and such....



I then went home and got everything together to start my first real sewing adventure. Usually when it comes to sewing I get frustrated and end up using fabric glue or staples....other fine art supplies. But, since pillows need to be soft and sewn...I was determined to not let any obstacle turn my project into trash...



I cut and pieced together the black and white fabric with some of the colored fabric then started making pillow cases. I made the two sides, then turned them inside out and sewed three of the edges together (like a pillow case)....


It took awhile to get into the swing of things, but by my third pillow and the last to be completed so far, I was moving pretty quickly with very few hiccups. I have about five more to complete, inverting the colored fabric and black and white fabric, so fingers crossed that they go well. I have to admit that I am pretty proud of myself and my pillows, I feel as though they are sturdy enough for use and cute enough for art, but you can judge that for yourself. I am definitely no sewing expert, and do not want to make this my life's career, but it was fun to try something new.


So as you go about your week, don't be afraid to try something new. It might be a challenge, but in the end you will feel a sense of accomplishment, plus you might have something pretty to show for it! And, don't forget--it's the random reasons...


No comments: