Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Toes

This last weekend I was able to escape the hustle and bustle of finals week by going to see some of my family in the southwest corner of Oklahoma. We planned to go to Lake Altus, but after sitting in the cold and rain for 45 minutes we decided to retreat to Hollis where my grandparents live. This was my second time to be there and just like the first time there wasn't a tad bit of awkwardness. It was great, well, there were a lot of hugs, but I have come to expect that. I met some of the family that I had not yet been able to meet, and got to spend some time with three of my brothers. Kanyon had been to prom and was having a lot of trouble staying awake, so he was, of course, the entertainment provider.

This weekend will stand out in my mind for many reasons. Since I can only count a handful of times that I have been with this side of my family, all of the time I spend with them is very new and memorable. However, this weekend was a little revealing. It was exciting--for me at least. I was mistaken for my aunt by my grandpa. This is not the first time that we have been said to "look-a-like," and he corrected himself very quickly, but it did bring a smile to my face. Haha, that sounds terribly weird. It is like I am saying that I enjoy being confused for someone else, but I assure you, I don't. This is a little different though. The next memorable moment about this weekend was when I was trying on my new Ugg boots. I had taken off my shoe (I was wearing flats with no socks) and my grandma stopped me. I thought she was looking at my toes which were in horrible need of a pedicure, but instead she was looking at my whole foot, including my toes. Apparently, my foot, which I have been made fun of my other members of my family, it a genetic thing. So...we bonded over my feet. Odd, but great. My grandma gave me some of my great-grandmother's costume jewelry and my great-great-grandmother's watch. I wanted to cry as she told me about some of the pieces. Thankfully I was able to stay composed. The feeling of being included did not leave though, and it actually still hanging around. I am absolutely in love with this new chapter of my life. I have so many people who love and care for me, so many people that I get to love and care for, and while this has always been true, my family has almost doubled and so has the love.


Sometimes it is the feeling of being loved and included that makes you smile. It hugs you and promises to never let go, and that is what matter in this life. So remember, as you go about your day, don't forget to love someone and to include them in your life, and always remember...it's the random reasons...

No comments: