Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tied up.

Hello everyone! Hope your week has been going well! It has been a busy, but oddly fast week here, with work and getting ready for school to start. As for the apartment perfection percentage? I would give it a solid 95.6%. Almost completely ready. As for my post today, it is about a piece that boosted the percentage about 10%.

There was a big empty space on the wall in the dining room...completely unacceptable. So, a few weeks ago I started brainstorming as to what to place on the wall. My idea, to be completely honest, made me a little nervous as to how the finished product would look. I am happy to say that I am extremely thrilled with how well the final piece looks!

I started out looking for a huge frame. I checked the local antique mall first, but they were both rude and unhelpful. So....to Hobby Lobby I went! I found this wonderful (and very large!) frame in their clearance section for about $3.50. What a steal!


The frame did need some work, so I painted over the "rough" spots with some white and blue paints. I wanted the white paint to have a sort of spilled look, and then I painted blue designs on the white. These are the same blue and white paints that can be found throughout the apartment. The frame was so large that is would barely fit on the table, so some of my work had to be completed on the kitchen floor.




A look at my supplies of the day:  twine, brass studs, pretty odds and ends. 


I cut the twine to fit across the frame both in length and width.




I connected the twine to the frame with the brass studs and buttons. Then whenever there was a "major" intersection I connected it with jewelry wire and attached a pretty little trinket. This white flower is actually from a bracelet of mine that C.J. broke.





I tried to make sure that the twine went in several different directions.



The finished product....almost....Oh, and on a side note, one of my favorite things about this piece is that is seems to frame the flowers on the kitchen table.



Wondering what the project was? No worries, I am not completely crazy! I wanted something that could hold pictures and cards in an artistic and completely unique way. I like this idea for several key reasons: 1. It isn't a huge ostentatious piece. Since it is not solid and the colors are toned down, the piece doesn't take over the small space.  2. The frame keeps everything organized and in one space. It gives the space boundaries. 3. Well....I am just happy that it turned out well. I can't wait to fill the piece with more pictures!



So, as you go about your day don't let an out-of-the-box idea intimidate you. Have some faith in yourself and take a risk--chances are, it will turn out great! Oh, and remember...it's the random reasons.

No comments: