Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hole in my Home

  • Rainy Day:  Curl up on the couch with a blanket and good book.
  • Snowy Day:  Curl up on the couch with a blanket and hot chocolate.
  • Long Day: Curl up on the couch with a blanket and pillow.
  • Sick Day:  Curl up on the couch with a blanket and box of Kleenax.
  • Sad Day:  Curl up on the couch with a blanket and pint of Fudge Brownie ice cream.

There is something about a couch that is comforting. This is not due to the texture of the couch, the level of stuffed fluff inside the cushions, the number/design of the throw pillows...etc. (these do add to the enjoyment level though!) I don't know what it is about a couch that is just so amazing. There is nothing equal to the stress relief that occurs when one falls into the arms of their couch after a long day. A couch provides an embrace that humans cannot. Whether one is dead tired or heartbroken, it is the couch which holds them with its strong ans table arms, which takes them away from this world with its ability to let one fade away into a peaceful sleep, which provides comfort and safety when the world seems scary and stressful. It is the couch which makes one feel...at home.

Having said all of that, I am without a couch. Why? Well, it just simply would not work out in my dorm room. Therefore...there is a hole in my home. My home is without its source of comfort and warmth, and although the big overstuffed chair tries its hardest to be like the couch, it falls short every time. You would think that if anyone should have a couch it should be a college student. Why you ask? Well, for starters, it is college students who are thrown out into the world very abruptly. One day they are sitting on the couch waiting for their mom to say that dinner is ready and the next they are sitting in a swivel chair in a small room waiting on their microwave meal to finish nuking. It isn't a hard life by any means, and with time it becomes a new way of life for the college student. It becomes more enjoyable and less scary. The process is fine, but every now and then the embrace from a couch would be oh so welcome. Thankfully, I will be able to have a couch next year in my new apartment. I am so happy! It is the little things like being able to cook on a stove, being able to burn candles, being able to toast a piece of bread, and being able to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate on my couch that I am looking forward to the most. They make me smile from ear to ear.

All of this talk about couches has a reason, I promise! My next art piece for 2D Design is going to be about a couch, or three couches rather. The assignment is to create a series of three items that can be related to the home, in three different color schemes. I am going to refrain from giving too much away on the project right now, but I will give you my almost final sketch. Enjoy!



So just remember that it is the little things that we all take for granted that matter the most. So smile today, and remember....it's the random reasons.

No comments: