Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stress and Deflation

Hello everyone! Hope you all have had wonderful weekends and are ready for the new week to start! I have been working on my two studio projects this weekend, and they are both finished! I am slightly impressed seeing how I did not have to stay up into the early morning hours to have such an accomplishment as two finished projects. Anyways...here they are.

Project 1: Foam Carving. Class:  3D Fundamentals.
Goal:  To create a relief carving out of insulation foam which has a background, middle ground, and foreground. Use an abstract square from a personal photo to a 12x12 inch panel.

I used a photo that I took when CJ and I had a picnic at the lake.



Then I chose this 1.5x1.5 inch square to carve:



It was a lot of work and it definitely took me out of my comfort zone, but towards the end I started to really enjoy it. I am looking forward to getting this piece framed and placed on the mantle.We had to paint the carving in one color, so I chose a pea green. It is going for a more contemporary natural look.





Project 2:  Contour Line Inflatable Object Drawing. Class:  Drawing 2
Goal:  To create a charcoal drawing using vine charcoal and an eraser. The erasure should cause a sense of progression or history, and the object must be drawn from either deflation to inflation or vice versa.


This project and I went round and round. I hated it. I procrastinated to the extreme, but in the end, I love it. It has a meaning and I believe that it can definitely be seen.




Here is an up close view of the final piece. It shows the sense of history that the drawing has due to the repeated drawing and erasing.






This is the finished project. I drew my inflatable pool ring from inflation to deflation. In the beginning the object was simple, but towards the end it became more and more complicated. The final drawing is darker than the rest and was not erased like its 100 predecessors. The title is Stress, and it represents a big ball of stress. It also can be seen as: 1. Stress causes you to feel deflated. 2. Stress takes over. 3. This project stressed me tot he core. As you can see, the ball has completely taken over most of the page. It covers the border and the whole ball cannot be seen. It is complicated and confusing.


Critiques are tomorrow! Wish me luck! As you go about your week, don't let stress take over your life. Take a breath and relax...it ALWAYS turns out ok. And, as always....its the random reasons.



No comments: