Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Midnight Snack

Hello everyone. Before you start wondering if this is going to be another movie or something with a promise at the end about an art post, don't worry! This is an art post! It is actually one of three that I have ready to go. I will post one a day until all three are posted. My apologies for the lack of art updates on the blog. :)

Nevertheless, here is Art Post 1:3--

The assignment was to take a picture of a lit building at night, and then complete the drawing on black paper. We could use colored pencil or chalk pastel. I chose colored pencil.


This is one of the pictures I took and the one I worked from. It is of the frozen custard shop on 6th street in Stillwater, and I just loved all of the colors combined with the silhouette of the building. I hadn't ever eaten at the shop before taking this photo, but have since been there more times than I can count. It's pretty good!


I started by cropping my photo for a more interesting composition, then carefully got all of the lines with the correct angles on the paper using a pencil. When drawing architecture it is extremely important to be accurate. No matter how great your drawing is, if the building is wrong, people will know and it will be a turn off.


I have always LOVED little details that a lot of people tend to generalize in art. One example of this is bricks. To make a building look like it is covered in bricks, all that one needs to do is add a few bricks here and there...but being my complicated self, I had to add each and every brick. In the end it always turns out for the best. I also had a ton of fun with the pictures of the treats. I believe that after this photo was taken we made a trip to the custard shop for an art break/midnight snack.

Drum roll please!.......da da dadadda...dum dumm......

The finished product!


This is one of those pieces that I will love forever. It was an absolute blast to create and I love every part of it from the detail of the bricks to the ice cream to the lights at the top to the use of the black paper within the subject to the subtle shading of the umbrella. I am in LOVE! Now all I need is a good home for this piece and a fun frame.

Hopefully you enjoyed this piece, I know I have and will. Stay tuned for an art post tomorrow looking at something shiny and still and arranged....hmmm. As you go about you day, go grab yourself a treat! Whether your treat is healthy or super sweet, enjoy it--that's what life is about! Have a fabulous rest of your Tuesday! Oh...and remember...it's the random reasons.





1 comment:

C said...

This would look good hanging in my bakery some day. =) Good job!